Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Journey: Stories of Migration By: Cynthia Rylant Illustrated by: Lambert Davis

In this beautiful book Cynthia Rylant and Lambert Davis collaborate to tell the remarkable story of six animal species that migrate (Monarch Butterflies, Desert Locust, Gray Whales, American Silver Eels, Caribou and Arctic Terns. The illustrations are amazing. Each animal is depicted in different stages of growth and in different habitats as it makes its journey. The text is typical of Rylant. Almost poetic, each word chosen deliberately. Each animal has 6-8 pages devoted to its migratory cycle. This would make a good introduction to migration for a class. It would also make great independent reading material. When I am teaching a unit in Science or History I try to have a variety of reading material on the subject available to my students for silent reading time. This will be a perfect addition to such fare. The one criticism I have of this book is that there are no source notes, no bibliography and no evidence that Rylant did any research into this topic at all. The writing is not scientific in nature. More story telling than specific details. Still I think as an introduction or as an independent read it is worthwhile and certainly beautiful both in text and illustration.

1 comment:

Kathy Kryscio said...

I am so excited to see that Rylant wrote a story on migration. I am teaching about animal adaptations (migrations, hibernation, instinct and learned behavior) right now in Science. I think this book will be an excellent read aloud choice to describe migration, thanks to your recommendation, I will be going to Barnes and Noble to purchase it and use it in my classroom this week!! Also, I appreicate your honesty and criticism. I wiil keep in mind your comments in reference to the absence of source notes and lack of scientific prose.