Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Jumanji By: Chris Van Allsburg

This is one of the first picture books I ever purchased. I now own several Chris Van Allsburg books. He is an amazing illustrator. Jumanji is a grand example of his talent. There are two things that I most love about his work. First of all I love his attention to details, from the medium all the way down to choice of paper is made deliberately. I also love his ability with perspective. The angle from which he creates a scene is almost as important as the scene itself. I bought this book to share with my 4th and 5th graders 11 years ago. It was right after we had encountered an excerpt from the book in the basil we were using at the time. I have hated Basil's ever since and have rarely used them. I have always been fortunate to be in situations where I was not forced to use a preselected text. I have spent literally thousands of dollars on books for my class room since then. And it was well worth the investment.

No comments: