Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Mole Music By: David McPhail

After I saw the presentation on this book in class I added it to my collection. They were even nice enough to let me have a copy of the wonderful music they used along with the story. I plan to use the story as part of a staff development in the fall. I won't even attempt to analyze the book here.That has already been done. What I would like to share is what made me LOVE this book. If you haven't noticed by now, I tend to wax philosophic. In almost everything I read, I find myself looking for the deeper meaning, the moral to the story. The moral to this story is an important one. You can make a difference, no matter how small or insignificant you believe yourself to be. This is a great message for teachers to hear as well as kids. Teachers pour their heart and soul into their students and their classrooms. Yet, seldom does a teacher know for sure whether or not he/she has made a difference in the life of a child. As educators we have to have faith that the love,patience, effort and skill we bring into our classrooms does matter even if we never see it directly. Just like the mole in his tunnel underground. Even though he didn't know it was happening, he was changing the world. I have to share my own sappy story. Last summer I contacted my first grade teacher to let her know that she had made a difference in my life. It was one of the best things I ever did. We talked for a long time and I believe she was glad that I called. She was the teacher for me that turned on my love of school and learning and I had always remembered her. In fact, when I entered the School of Ed.'s Masters program 11 years ago I wrote my application essay about her. The question was "Why do you want to teach?" or something like that. My answer was so that I could touch the lives of children the way my first grade teacher had touched mine. I hope that I shed a little light into her mole tunnel. Just remember we make a difference everyday whether we get to see it or not.

No comments: