Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Secret Garden By: Frances Hodgson Burnett

I am so glad I finally read this book. Actually this is another one that I listened to. It was a wonderful book to hear because of the English accents and dialects that would have been lost if I was reading silently. This is a classic that I missed somewhere along the way. I was also under the mistaken impression that this was a fantasy and that the garden somehow had magical powers that healed the boy and his cousin. That is not the way the story goes. It is however, a tale of healing. The kids in this story have been given all the material things in this world but nothing in the way of love and attention. What Mary and Collin find in the garden and in Miselthwait Manor may not be magic but, it does heal them in both mind and body. There is a new technology that I also would like to tell you about. At least it is fairly new. It is called a Play Away. I checked it out of the library and it is really cool. The entire book is in a self contained digital player. All you need is a set of headphones. The library even included an extra battery in case you needed it. This devise is small enough to fit in your pocket or you can wear it around your neck (lanyard included). Here's the best part. I was so impressed that I decided to look them up to see how expensive they are. They cost about the same as any other audio book.

No comments: